Friday, January 1, 2021

It’s Been a Long Time a Comin

2020, a year I don’t want to repeat!But it has given me time to reflect on what is important to me. My Mom is 96, soon to be 97 and lives in an assisted living. I was used to dropping in for a visit every time I went to the post office or the bank. That came to a halt in March when all the restrictions for COVID-19 were put in place. For the spring and summer months we had window visits, then in the fall her children were deemed essential and we were given permission to visit in her apartment, but we had to make an appointment, have our temp taken and answer COVID questions. If we passed the test, we could go in and visit with a mask on. But only one visitor at a time. That was stopped the beginning of December when she had a doctors appointment and tested positive for COVID-19. She has been in quarantine since. Funny thing is, I ask her how she feels, and she says, I don’t feel sick. Meanwhile Christmas has come and gone. So no, I do not want to repeat 2020!

I normally do craft/vendor shows every week starting in October and go up to Christmas. Sometimes two shows in one week. Well, with COVID-19 most of those were canceled. Customers were messaging asking how they could get mittens. I started meeting in town with all the totes in the back of my Expedition, they would look until they found something they liked. No walking up to my grids and picking off the pairs they wanted. After two days in a row, standing behind the Expedition freezing my fingers, we decided it was time...

For years I have have dreamed of setting up a store in a trailer. So we purchased a twelve foot enclosed trailer. It is a work in progress, but this will be my new “store”. I am very excited! We have heat and lights, and hopefully signs next week.

So now back to what is important to me... sitting at my Mom’s table for visit, seeing knickknacks that are a part of who she is. It is my hope that I will be able to do that on her 97th birthday, February 12.   Drinking coffee with my adult kids and sharing their day, kissing and snuggling our 7 grandchildren. Meeting a friend for lunch. Going for drives with John and stopping someplace for coffee or lunch, without having to put a mask on! ... and my sewing! That has been the one constant that has kept me sane during this crazy year!

At the end of 2020, I still have much to be thankful for. My husband is my biggest fan! He has put in countless hours making my dream come true! I tend to only look at the end result, and forget the boring steps it takes to get there. He keeps me on track and builds and fixes all those boring parts! 










No comments:

Post a Comment