Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Fly High Mom


God promises there is an eternal place for us when it’s our time to leave this world. I held onto that HOPE as Mom lived her final days here on earth.

 Mom gained her angel wings yesterday morning around 11. She was 98 years and 58 days. She lived a very full and blessed life. I am so thankful for the time we had together, now she can be at peace and no pain or suffering.                                                     






 Mom taught me to sew before I started school, and who would have thought it would become my greatest passion. I would make potholders, then I went to pillowcases. By the time I was in junior high, I was sewing clothing. Mom was a beautiful seamstress, she sewed dresses, shirts, jackets and suits. She was very particular how the fabric should be cut and how perfect your seams should be. She taught me to blind hem by hand. When I was younger, I envied her small tight stitches. With plenty of practice, I mastered her technique, that's when I finally felt I had passed the test! Over the years I have appreciated her talent being passed to me. I can loose myself in the sewing room, I think that's where I will be the next few weeks. It is my happy place and where the stress of life stays away.   

  As a kid growing up, I didn’t appreciate what my parents went through to give us a stable life and firm foundation to build on. Our life wasn’t always warm and fuzzy, some days it was downright tough! We were expected to pull our share of the weight. As kids we learned to cook, clean, plant and tend the garden, drive tractors, throw hay bales, feed the animals and everything else that went with being a farm kid! But when I look back, we had a great life! What I didn't appreciate then was what my parents gave up and did without to provide for us. Growing up during the Great Depression and WW2 taught them, that material things weren’t what was important, family is important. They instilled in us a very strong work ethic and to always be honest and trustworthy. They shared in the raising of the nine of us. Dad ran the farm, cooked, washed dishes and changed diapers when needed. Mom took care of the house, but could drive a tractor and milk cows if she was needed outside. Theirs was a true partnership! They were married 54 years when Dad passed in 2001. But Mom continued to celebrate their anniversary, May 25,1946.  Last year when it would have been their 75th, I went to visit her. She said “I had a good life with your Dad and sometimes I don’t think I told him that enough”. But I’m sure he knew. Now they are together again, which makes my heart happy!

 Be thankful and appreciate the people in your life while they are here. Tell them you love them, take the time to visit them. Life is not always easy, happy or perfect; you can cry about and be mad/sad or you can be thankful for what and who you have in your life. 



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to. your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!! what a legend, we will all be a little more empty again without her in our neighborhood.
    i hope you keep passing on those kinds of lessons too - kids dont do enough of that anymore, i sure wish i knew more about it than i do. <3
    prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete